PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Violinist in the Making


When I was young I played the flute, and quite well if I do say so myself but of course as a kid you move on to different hobbies and forget about the old ones. (which I tend to still do sometimes) So I decided a few months ago to give a musical instrument another shot, but this time a stringed instrument (since of course I mastered a wood-wind instrument). Now in my mind I figured I would set aside an hour or two week to play so I bought all of these instructional books that showed you finger placement  (and even came with cd's that haven't been updated since the 90's) but of course time tends to get in the way. I have since learned jingle bells, mary had a little lamb and the intro to a Mozart song, but I like to think that my effort has not been wasted and it is a great achievement for somebody that is teaching themselves!

Now my on going list of new hobbies, is constantly growing but I live my life by the motto that I would rather be good at a bunch of different things, than be excellent at just a few. Maybe in my mind it justifies the overwhelming amount of ideas of new adventures I come up with on a weekely bases, but I would like to think that it just makes me well rounded. So my dream of playing the violin on stage for an audience may never actually come true, but when someone asks me if I can play an instrument, I can say, "Well as a matter of fact I do, I am a violinist." (Who needs to tell them that my greatest achievement is a Christmas song with 3 notes?)

No comments:

Post a Comment